Office 365: "Sorry, we can't connect to your account. Please try again later"
2014-03-05 Problem solving 0 138
After installing Office 365 on my home computer I got this error message "Sorry, we can't connect to your account. Please try again later". Trying later did not help much, no matter how many times I tried. And all the Office applications reminded me that they needed to be activated. Googling this error message revealed that a many people had this problem, but I could not find a definitive solution, not even from Microsoft. Some of the discussions I found suggested that this was a firewall problem. This is the procedure that finally solved my activation problem:
- Remove the existing Office 365 installation from the computer using the Fix It tool from Microsoft.
- Connect the computer directly to your ISP's router using a network cable (not a wireless connection).
- Start Internet Explorer in private mode, right-click on the application icon and select Start InPrivate Browsing.
- Log on to your Office 365 account, click the cogwheel next to your name in the upper right corner and choose Office 365 settings.
- Click on software in the left page menu and choose the Office version you want to install.